Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Drive-By Reflections

I seemed to notice all sorts of things as I drove in to work today...

It started with me pulling to the end of my driveway, noticing that the State people are there cleaning up the mess left by ol' Drunks McGee on Friday night.

Then, as I'm gettin ready to pull out on to the main road, I swear Steven Spielberg went zipping by...I mean, I'm not sure why one of the greatest filmmakers of all time is cruising around Haywood County in a beaten up grey car from 1992, but there he was none-the-less. In the words of Tom Hanks (in 'You've Got Mail', of course) 'it had to bee!'

So, I'm bee-boppin down the road singing way too many Miley Cyrus songs a little too well when I notice a pink ribbon on the door of a cute little cottagey looking house. It's sweet to me because last night as I was driving home from that amazing little meeting we call Church Council, I noticed a woman carrying a tiny little baby into the house and I thought 'Oh, thats so sweet!'. I dunno, just something about the way the mom was carrying the little bundle was real touching to me...then this morning I see the pink bow and I think: I bet that baby was coming home for the first time last night, and I got to see it! It was a simple little moment, an intiment moment for this little family, and I got to witness it. Is it wierd that this little sighting gave me such joy?

After I notice all of these things, I start thinkin, has my addiction to all things Miley crossed the line from 'I keep up with what my kids are in to so that I can stay relevant to them' to 'Oh my gosh, it's Miley!'...I think so...I'm finding more and more that things I honestly only watch or listen to so that I can stay up on what to encourage or disscourage my kids from getting in to are things that are becomming my favorite things...I mean, have you SEEN 'Phineas and Ferb'?!?! It's hysterical! I can't get enough. And 'Sonny With A Chance'...sigh. What can I say? I feel there are no justifications for my addictions to the Disney Channel, or that I have Disney West, Disney East, Toon Disney, Disney XD and Playhouse Disney all programmed into my favorites on my tv channel guide. And the fact that I beat down the doors to see the Hannah Montanna movie, and bought the soundtrack off iTunes the instant I got home? I can't help myself!

I gotta get back to work, but I'll do it while I sing every. single. word. to the Phineas and Ferb theme song...

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you post as Anonymous please sign your name so I know who you are! Thanks for commenting :)