Monday, October 12, 2009

*can't get You out of my head*

at SNL this weekend, I was riveted by one song in particular. i love how a song or a lyric or a melody can swell up inside of me and take over all the things i want to say but don't know how. sometimes, i feel like i have so many thoughts, so much emotion, it almost chokes me and i can't say a word. it sits in my throat and on my chest and i want to sing out but the words refuse to form. then a song, more often than not in Worship, swoops in and takes away the pressure and the twisted tounge that resides in my mouth and frees me to say exactly what i want the world to hear. exactly what i want my Savior to hear. this song did just that this weekend. i am so full of love for the blessings that have been bestowed upon me, and for this incredible journey that God has placed me on, i just want to shout it from the top of the world.

my favorite line is '...all of a sudden i am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory'
...wow. incredible.

i also love what one guy had to say about this song...he had my thoughts exactly, as the song completely took me by surprise:

'I’ve been listening to the song How He Loves Us all day. Powerful song. It’s one of those songs where you start air drumming so hard that you break your air drum sticks on the side of your air snare because you’re just going nuts.

It’s a pretty deep and fairly “wordy” song as well. Definitely not a song full of fluff. However, in the second verse there is a line that at first listen sounds kind of ridiculous.

The line is this… “So Heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss…”

Awkward…

Anyway, the first time you hear the line you’re kind of turned off by it. But at least for me, the more I hear it the more deeply it resonates with me.

It’s the type of line that is just so raw and messy, but the type of line that conjures up beautiful images of a father swooping down to pick up his child and plant the biggest wettest, most loving kiss on their cheek.

As big and powerful as God is, He’s also that loving and compassionate and willing to swoop down and plant a “sloppy wet kiss” on his children.

'He is jealous for me,
Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree,
Bending beneath the weight of his wind and mercy.
When all of a sudden,
I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory,
And I realize just how beautiful You are,
And how great Your affections are for me.

And oh, how He loves us so,
Oh how He loves us,
How He loves us so.

We are His portion and He is our prize,
Drawn to redemption by the grace in His eyes,
If grace is an ocean, we’re all sinking.
So Heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss,
And my heart turns violently inside of my chest,
I don’t have time to maintain these regrets,
When I think about, the way…

And, Oh how He loves us so,
Oh how He loves us,
How He loves us so.

Well, I thought about You the day Stephen died,
And You met me between my breaking.
I know that I still love You, God, despite the agony.
…They want to tell me You’re cruel,
But if Stephen could sing, he’d say it’s not true, cause…

He loves us.
Woah, He loves us.'




1 comment:

  1. I totally enjoyed worship at SNL with you and David as well as seeing friends. Dad and I are so excited to see and meet and hear Dr.Maxie Dunnam! I know what u mean about the song and the lyrics of the sloppy kiss. Definately takes digestion to capture the writers message.I love you so much.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

If you post as Anonymous please sign your name so I know who you are! Thanks for commenting :)