Monday, May 4, 2009

Some Thought-Provoking Reads...

I'm a pretty avid reader... I love getting out of my own world and having to create one from scratch in my mind, one that the author has painstakingly pieced together for the betterment of my imagination. I have been reading a number of thought-provoking books as of late, and they make me want to jump up and do something...what, I'm not sure, although heading back to Kenya in February is a start. I really love talking about great books with friends, but I can't find anyone who has read the majority of these...read 'em and then let's chat!!!!

'The Kite Runner' is about a kid growing up in Afghanistan when war hits, and the struggles that he and his father have as they find their way to the United States. This book absolutely rocked my thinking and moved me to read the next book by the same author...

In this next novel by Hosseini, we see what life was and continues to be for those who weren't able to leave Afghanistan when things started getting really messy. It follows two women on separate journeys that lead them to the same man, and the story takes you someplace really special...

'What is the What' is nothing short of riveting. This is a true story of one of the Lost Boys of Sudan. I didn't know much about this country or it's struggles, I had only heard Darfur being tossed around by the media with no real thoughts to what all the fuss was about. 'What' challenged my humanity and stired me to the depths of my soul. It's spellbinding and I can't think of enough ways to try and convince you to read it other than to say just.read.it.
Ah, 'The Shack'. Controversial and challenging, I struggled through this one. It so completely takes God out of the box that I wonder how I ever looked at Him in a box in the first place. 'The Shack' is so powerful, I bought about 10 copies after reading it and gave it out to everyone I came across.
'unChristian' is my current read. I'm only in the second chapter and I'm already dying to talk about it with someone... wanna jump in on this one? It isn't a novel, it's based on research done by The Barna Group about the perception that young people in America today have about Christianity...it's thought provoking 30 pages in, and I only anticipate excellence. This doesn't mean that any of it is easy or comfortable to hear, but I think if we are to be like Jesus and bring this generation to Him, it's a worthy read.

2 comments:

  1. Leah, I've read all of them but the last one - I'll pick up a copy and discuss it with you. I don't remember details about the first two but they did not impact me as much as "What" and well,you know b/c I told you to read it -it's life-changing in some ways, huh? I think we talked about The Shack - if not, I've read that one too. I really enjoy reading your blog - you can put into words lots of things that roll around in my mind!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should read 'A Long Way Gone', which is another one of the Lost Boys. Good Book. http://www.alongwaygone.com/

    ReplyDelete

If you post as Anonymous please sign your name so I know who you are! Thanks for commenting :)