Saturday, April 25, 2009

One Wild Friday Night...

Oh goodness. So David and I normally have what we call 'Friday Date Night' and this week we thought 'Ooo, a quiet night in with Ruby sounds like just the ticket...'. We snuggled up...not together, me on the couch and David in his recliner...there's something nice about being able to snuggle without even being in the same chair...anyhoo, we watched Get Smart and ate some super yummy bbq courtesy of the Boy Scouts, and just enjoied laying around.

Around 9:45 we decided that we really are quite the grandma and grandpa and darn proud of it, so we went to bed before 10 o'clock. By 10:30 we were almost conked out when we heard this insane sceeching and squeeling of tires that seemed to last forever, followed by a practical sonic boom that blasted through the bedroom windows that were open for the first time of the season.

David jumped out of bed and began dressing, and I called 911. It sounded like just the worst thing you can imagine, and my mind went to all the worst places. David hopped in the truck and drove onto the main road and it turns out the crash was directly in front of our yard. By the time I get out there, all the neighbors (all 3 of them) were gathered around in true Wisteria Lane fashion.

Turns out the guy was as many sheets to the wind as you can concieve...once the cops came it was discovered that he was more than twice the legal limit for the alchie. At any rate, there I was with a blanket in case he was in shock, there were the neighbors positioned below the crash to flag traffic, and there David was in front of the crash to flag traffic and babysit the 'victim'.

I was super proud of my little Hubs for how he handled the sloshed one. He kept tryin to get up and get back in his car saying things like 'Gotta get me and you a smoke man, and I aint talkin cigs' or 'I hope you didn't call the cops cause I'll get in big trouble' and 'Them guns ain't mine, man, I swear them guns ain't mine.'

When I heard 'guns' being repeated over and over my heart started doin the Daytona 500 and I quietly slipped away, back into the house to call the cops back with this new info. I am just ridiculously out of shape and the guy on the other end of the phone kept sayin 'Calm down, Mrs.' and I kept sayin, 'Oh, I'm calm, I'm just in dire need of fitness boot camp'...well, I said this in my head, not to the guy.

So, about an hour of babysitting this guy, the cops show up. They come around the curve and the guy starts freaking out. He's headin to his car mumbling about needin a smoke and David starts sayin for me to get back...way back. There go the race cars in my chest again as I think 'Oh, snap'. The neighbors get in between him and the car as David heads to the cops tellin them to get down there quickly cause he prolly has guns. Oh, the good ol cops get to him and theres beer cans everywhere and he had thrown multiple guns (I mean, like more than just a few) over the side of the road into our neighbors yard. When the neighbors checked their mail this morning they also found a huge bag of drugs that he had thrown out. The cops took our statements, the tow truck came and took the car, and the dude was taken off into the night in a swirl of blue flashing lights.

As for the car and the guardrail and the trees along the side of the road? All destroyed. About 50 feet of the guardrail was wraped around this poor tree, slicing off most of its branches and then trailing off down the creek. I have never ever seen such a sight. That poor guardrail prolly saved this guys life, and it was in shambles. I didn't know you could do that to metal...

I keep thinkin, if someone else had been on the road, or even if David and I had been checkin our mail, this world would prolly be minus a few folks tonight. I know it could have been way worse, and for this, I am in awe of my God and how He keeps us safe. I praise Him that it was only this guy on this night. I hope that he gets some serious jail time and that he's in a jail that has the Kairos prision ministry...

As for today? The road has taken a beating, and I'm sure the guy is feeling some aches from his head crashing into the windshield.

1 comment:

  1. i think the thing that frustrates me the most.. it took them an hour to get there!! so glad no one was hurt. and david sure sounds like a stud!

    ReplyDelete

If you post as Anonymous please sign your name so I know who you are! Thanks for commenting :)